- the smart shirt
- PREDICTING EARTHQUAKES FROM SPACE
- THE SAFER BARRIER
- MICROSCOPIC WIRES DETECT CANCERS
- DETECTING "DIRTY BOMBS"
- MINI-ROBOT RECONNAISSANCE TEAM
- CLEANER WATER THROUGH NEW TREATMENT TECHNOLOGY
- A BETTER HEARING AID MODELED ON A FLY'S EAR
- CHEAP, CLEAN, RENEWABLE NON-POLLUTING FUEL FROM PLANT WASTES AND UNIVERSITY SCIENCE
- FUELING THE CLEAN CAR
- RESTORING SIGHT IN BLIND PATIENTS
- SPY PLANES THAT FLY ON WINGS OF SEAGULLS
- SOLAR ENERGY FROM THE WINDY CITY
- TINY PARTICLES DELIVER CURES
- THE HANDYLAB--INSTANT DNA TESTING
For the past ten years, The Science Coalition—an alliance of advocates including dozens of major institutions of higher education—has worked to increase America’s support for university research. Now, The Science Coalition’s tenth anniversary offers an ideal opportunity to celebrate the scientific advances that this investment has helped to produce. Thanks largely to our country’s commitment to scientific research, these past ten years have seen extraordinary advances, from mapping the human genome to finding new ways to work with microscopic objects and learning how to “stop” particles of light on a silicon chip, using the electromagnetic energy to power a new generation of smaller and faster computers. In University Research: America’s Competitive Edge, the Coalition offers 15 tangible examples of how Americans can benefit from their investment in university research through scientific advances in highway safety, earthquake forecasting, almost instantaneous medical diagnoses, cancer treatments, restoring vision and hearing, purifying water, and fighting terrorism. These stories tell how these and other discoveries are beginning to make a difference in our daily lives.